Artec Shapify Booth features a fully automated process for creating 3D files. Use it to set up an innovative, lucrative and scalable business.
Artec Shapify Booth features a fully automated process for creating 3D files. Use it to set up an innovative, lucrative and scalable business.
It’s the only software on the market that can process full body 3D scans automatically and quickly. Just compare the Shapify’s 15 minutes of automated cloud computing to create a 3D printable file with at least 2 hours of highly skilled work spent by a 3D modeller on every file made using photogrammetry or any other scanning solution.
Microsoft Kinect was created for capturing gestures and, together with its affordable price, offers relatively low resolution 3D scans, while Shapify Booth is armed with 4 hi-res professional scanners made to spec by Artec – a global market leader in 3D scanners – so the result is much more detailed.
Also when you use Shapify for Kinect you need to rotate at specific intervals to be scanned from every side, while in the Shapify Booth you stand still and the scanners rotate around you. It’s faster, easier and gives much better results because you can hold the same pose without any trouble.
Unlike photogrammetry the Shapify Booth uses real 3D scanners. This is what has allowed us to create software which automatically creates printable 3D files.
I. Front office
1. Meet the customer, check he or she is wearing appropriate clothes for scanning, recommend removing shiny clothes, jewelry, black shoes and glasses. Explain the process and ask the customer to hold still for 12 seconds while being scanned. Type the customer's name (or e-mail) into the system.
2. The customer stands in the booth. You click on the "Start" button and make sure the customer doesn't move during scanning.
3. After scanning, wait with the customer until the preview picture is ready. (About 5 minutes). Meanwhile discuss delivery options with the customer.
4. Make sure the preview is good and that the customer likes it.
5. Store the customer's name (e-mail), chosen delivery address, size of figurine and number. (This can also be done during step 3)
6. Charge the customer.
7. The printable 3D file will be available to order or download on your Shapify.me online account within 15 minutes.
II. Back office, via the booth operator’s online account at www.shapify.me
1. Log in to your personal account at Shapify.me. If you want to print the figurine yourself, just select the model and press the “download” button.
2. If you want to order printing with Artec, please make sure your printing account has enough credit.
2. Go to Gallery, select the required model(s), enter the delivery address, number and size of figurine(s).
3. Click on the "order" button.
Please see the video for a visual explanation
The branding on the booth itself cannot be modified apart from in exceptional circumstances. However, if you decide to use an exterior pod or structure for the booth, you can create your own design or use the Shapify design. In both cases, the design should be harmonized with us for technical and marketing purposes.
Yes. Shapify Booth it is the most portable and easy to deploy automated 3D scanning solution on the market. However, the booth should be assembled and calibrated by an authorized maintenance partner; this is about 4-5 hours’ work for a two man job.
We don’t count scans, we count the processed 3D files you choose to print or download. You can scan your customer as many times as necessary, this will be free of charge.
– Hardware, delivered to your address
The whole scanning system - the scanning with 4 hi-res rotating scanners, lighting, and the computer to manage the process.
The first installation by our certified Maintenance Partner
There are 3 levels of software:
1. The software installed on the Booth PC for managing scanning and modelling a quick (1 min) preview so your customer can decide whether to accept the quality of the scan
2. Cloud software to process your hi-res model (3-5 min) and upload it to your personal account on the Shapify.Me web site.
3. The Shapify website software and interface to help you to store and manage your scans, download your files, order prints, check your scanning and printing accounts and schedules (within certain business-models)
1 year full warranty
With the “Optimal” business model you will also get 3000 automatically processed 3D files.
You will have a special counter on your personal account at Shapify.me. You will always know how many files you still have left. When you have used them all, you will be able to top up your account on the website by paying $20 per extra scan.
Yes, the booth has to be connected to the internet since all the calculations are done in the cloud.
A lot of information, from the photos on your iphone to your credit card details, is sent to and processed in the cloud. All data on the Shapify website and in the Shapify cloud is encrypted and safe.
Yes, it can. Just remember that the more people are scanned together, the more difficult a job it is for the software, since everyone makes some slight movements even if they trying to keep totally still, and if there are several people in the booth, the volume of movements will be higher. So achieving a perfect scan of multiple people will be a little more difficult - although we have plenty of success stories!
You (and your customer) will see the finished preview in about 5 minutes. Based on that, the customer can decide whether they like the scan and wish to purchase the printed 3D shapie. The hi-res fully processed file should be available in about 15 minutes on your personal account on the Shapify.me website
This is the Artec L2, an enhanced version of Artec Eva, but with a wider view field and longer working distance.
You’ll need a space of at least 3.3m x 3.3m, ceiling height at least 2.8 m. For electricity you should have 220V and 2500W. We recommend a fast Internet connection of 8-10M. Don’t forget you should also have a Windows laptop or a desktop to run the Shapify software. It doesn’t need to be powerful, though, all the heavy work is done in the cloud and on the Booth PC.
There are 3 options:
1. You can order printing and delivery from us via the shapify.me website.
2. You can find your own local printing partner.
3. You own a 3D printer yourself and print the figurines on your own premises.
Here are the printing prices we offer: (in US$, delivery not included)
Suggested market price, $
Artec printing price, $
6 inch (15 cm)
7.5 inch (18 cm)
9 inch (22,5 cm)
No, you can download the file from your account and print it yourself or outsource it.
With these prices we can guarantee the very best quality figurines and still at less than market price.
Our figurines reflect the real height of the person. If a 180cm tall customer orders the 1:10 size, their shapie will be 18cm high. If a 140 cm tall child orders the same size, the shapie will be 14 cm high. This means you can see your kids’ year by year progress and also show the real height ratio of family or company members.
We charge per person in the scan. If there are two people, the price is doubled, three, it is tripled, etc.
Our files are in .obj format (plus texture in .png) which can be easily transformed into any 3D format you need (like .ply or .stl) with free software (e.g. Meshlab)
Yes, we have a lot of 3D printing related connections worldwide.
It is a gypsum-based polymer. See tech details here
Sure. Once you have downloaded the file, you can print it out using any material you like – metal, plastic or even chocolate.
Shapify is a cutting-edge technology developed by Artec Group and the easiest way for you to scan yourself at home and get a 3D print of your figurine. It is a simple, friendly and unique service that brings 3D scanning and 3D printing to your living room! No special skills or training, no 3D printer are required to use Shapify.
You need to have a Microsoft Kinect and a computer. Please note that other 3D sensors like Primesense Carmine or Asus Xtion are not supported.
No, you don't need an Xbox game console, only a Kinect and a computer.
If you have the version of Kinect that came with Xbox you need to purchase a power supply cable with USB.
You will need the following to scan yourself using Shapify.me:
Windows 7 x64 bit or Windows 8 x64
Intel Core I3 or later with at least 4 GB RAM
USB 2.0 or USB 3.0
Kinect is a 3D depth sensor from Microsoft initially developed for the Xbox 360 game console and Windows PC.
Yes! The Mac version is available for downloading here.
3D scanning causes no harm to animate or inanimate objects. Moreover, it exercises your stamina and attentiveness!
You can scan any object capable of maintaining the same pose and facial expression. We do not recommend scanning any transparent, shiny or glossy surfaces.
Yes, it costs $40.
Unlike professional 3D scanning, you can use Shapify.me by yourself at home without any special training or equipment, other than a Microsoft Kinect.
Please consider scanning yourself again. And don't forget to keep the same pose and set up adequate light conditions for best results.
The Kinect can only scan the part of your body facing the sensor. In order to make 3D models, Shapify.me needs to scan you from every angle.
If your sensor is set up correctly, you should see a special green zone indicating where you should stand.
Please make sure that your speakers are connected to computer and check the sound volume.
Yes, but we recommend choosing a chair with thick legs. If the chair’s legs are too thin, the scanner might not be able to capture you, so you may appear floating in the air.
No, this is not possible as the Shapify software combines several sophisticated mathematical algorithms that are programmed to scan vertically-oriented objects.
Yes, they can. But the scanning process would be more complicated as both people have to fit into Kinect’s field of view. This can be checked during sample scanning. The price will be double as the material used will be greater.
Yes, but they do have to be able to hold the same pose for about a minute and turn 7 times, so you will have problems scanning wriggling toddlers! But there are no problems scanning children who are old enough to stay still while being scanned. Just remember to change the height parameters in the Shapify program and height and position of the Kinect itself, moving it closer to the child, so that he or she is standing in the green circle shown on the Shapify app.
No. Animals like dogs and cats move too much for the scanner to be able to capture them, and more peaceful animals such as tortoises are too small.
There can be several reasons why it took so long:
1. There may have been other objects hindering the Kinect’s field of view, or perhaps you assumed such a strange pose that the program couldn’t recognize you as a human.
2. The larger the object, the longer the processing will take. So if you are wearing a large, voluminous dress, for example, or a big bulky coat, it will take longer than usual for the app to create your model.
3. The ceiling in the room was too low and program might have mistaken it for the floor.
4. Your laptop does not have enough RAM. This point is critical. On a modern laptop, the post processing should not take more than 7 minutes. However, we are shortly going to launch a new version of Shapify, where post-processing will take place in the cloud. This means that it will take no longer than a minute and that your computer equipment will not need to be so powerful.
5. You have too many programs running on your computer at the same time. Try closing all unnecessary applications.
Currently all processing happens inside the program you download onto your computer, but in the near future the data will be sent to the cloud to speed up all calculations. But in both cases the file of the model is uploaded via the Shapify program to your user page on the Shapify website, where you can look at it, rotate it, zoom-in/out and order a 3D print of it.
Please follow the link for the detailed guide on how to upload your 3D model to Sketchfab.
Only the scans made with Shapify.me can be 3D printed.
Usually, white and multi-colored plastic called laser-sintered polyamide is used.
Please check with the service provider. They will be able to give you additional information.
Yes, you can paint your objects. Different types of paint can be used: bi-component polyurethane or epoxy. Before painting your objects, rinse them with water.
Restart your PC, delete the application and try again. If these steps don't help, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check your internet connection and firewall settings to unblock the application.
You must have set up Kinect incorrectly. Make sure that the scanning space in front of Kinect is uncluttered and there are no big objects like walls right behind you. Stand in the green zone as shown on the screen.
Please check USB connection and try to use another USB port. Note that depending on the revision of you Kinect sensor it may or may not work properly with USB 3.0.
Remember that you have to make 45 degree turns and keep the same pose. There should be no extra items in Kinect's field of view.
You must have made a sharp movement while scanning or extra objects have appeared in scanning zone. In addition, make sure that your PC meets the requirements.
Please contact our support team at email@example.com. We will be glad to help!
If you have a great business idea, proposal or advice you would like to share with Shapify team, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each voice will be heard!
In normal conditions (daytime light, inside and outside) you do not need any additional lighting. However, the texture may not be quite as good if the environment is a little dark, just the same as with photography.
Here is a list of conditions that will help you get a well textured model:
1. Diffused light. No direct light or fluorescent lamps.
2. No less than 1000Lx = good lighting environment.
3. We haven’t used umbrellas or backdrop stands, but if you have them, why not use them? They will help to bring out the best texture.
Both light and keeping still do matter a lot. Light is as important as in photography. And the face is a body part that moves a lot. Our software is capable of compensating small movements of the face, but they do need to be rather small. Also, for best possible results, when you are being scanned, try to tilt your face slightly downwards. This way it will be angled towards the Kinect, in full view of the sensor.
Your shoes might be too shiny for the Kinect to capture. Please consider the following options:
Scan again with less-shiny shoes. Suede shoes will work the best.
Spray some anti-glare on your shoes. Note that you will need to dust/wipe the shoes after